July is the month for you to celebrate all aspects of independent retail and shout about what you can offer customers that multiples can’t. The celebrations kick off with Independents’ Day UK, which this year falls across Saturday 1 – Sunday 2 July. And with July being Independent Retailer Month, the celebrations continue for the following few weeks, so there is plenty of opportunity to promote everything that is great about shopping independent. Keep reading below, to see how your store can get involved.
We have put together a selection of ideas for how you can make the most of these two national events.
- Add the Independents’ Day UK logo and the Independent Retail Month logo to your website and social media posts and tag their accounts in your posts.
- You could share the posters in your storefronts from Independents’ Day UK (download here) and Independent Retail Month (download here).
- Offer a promotion on your products or services throughout the month of July.
- Place an article in the local newspaper or business magazine connecting with other businesses in your community.
- Hold events throughout July in your store connecting with your local community.
- Use #indieretailer within your social media posts that promote your business or events. Likewise, connect and interact with those who are using the hashtag.
- Carry out an ad campaign that will connect you with customers in your local area.
- Create a short video introducing your store and jewellery.
- Create a discount code that can only be used in-store.
- Donate a percentage of all purchases to a local charity.
- Do a video a day sharing information about your store.
Independents’ Day UK
Did you know… that independents account for 65% of the approximately 290,000 retail outlets in the UK?
Independents’ Day UK supports and promotes independent retail businesses across the UK.
Celebrating retailers has never been more critical. Whilst we celebrate independent retailer jewellers throughout the year, Independents’ Day UK, recognises the “choice, diversity of product and service, tradition as well as innovation, and more personal service to customers that retailers offer”.
With your online celebrations, make sure to tag the CMJ’s social media accounts and the Independents’ Day UK accounts.
Facebook – Independents’ Day UK
Instagram – @ukindieday
Twitter – @ukindieday
For more information on Independents’ Day UK, head to the website here.
Independent Retailer Month
Independent Retailer Month encourages customers to shop at local independent retailers, sharing the positive social and economic impact, locally, nationally and globally.
”With July being Independent Retailer Month, the time is ripe to explore how small independents are reclaiming their status as a major competitive force, and as crucial components of a thriving community!” – Forbes
Download the resources below to get started with celebrating Independent Retailer Month. There is a selection of resources available on its website, including the Independent Retailer logo, a poster, a degree proclaiming July as Independent Retailer Month and a postcard to help you raise awareness within your community.
Make sure you tag Independent Retailer Month in your social media posts throughout July.
Facebook – Independent Retailer Month
Instagram – @indieretailermonth
Twitter – @IndieRetailHQ
For more information on Independent Retailer Month and to download free marketing materials, head to the website here.
However you celebrate, make sure to share the impact and importance that your store has within your community.