Independent Retailer Month takes place every July, and it could be said that this year it is more important than ever before. As a result of coronavirus, 64% of people want to support local businesses and buy local products, with women being even more likely to shop within their community (70%), according to a YouGov survey in July 2020. Mintel and CACI also both report that post-Covid many people will want to support their local shops that have had a difficult time and many will simply not want to travel very far for shopping.
The CMJ has partnered with Independent Retailer Month to share with you some top tips for maximising promotion of the month-long event in store and online. You can download free supporting resources for Independent Retailer Month here.
Here are some of the ideas that they suggest to celebrate Independent Retailer Month and to promote your independent business to the local community:
- Bonus buck: Give customers a £10 coupon for every £100 they spend in your store in July. The coupon is redeemable in August.
- Happy hour: Offer red, white and blue cookies/cupcakes with refreshments to promote the ‘independent’ touch. You could also contact an independent restaurant to partner and provide some light bites.
- Badges: Create campaign buttons for your staff to wear with the message “Proud to be independent”.
- Goodie bags: Give with certain purchases or to new customers.
- Community talent: Support local designers, artists and/or DJs by hosting a joint in-store activity.
- Run a contest: Offer the chance for one lucky winner and friends to have a private shopping party.
- Shopping crawl: Team up with neighbouring independent retailers to host a shopping crawl, providing a map and prizes for participants.
- Charity giving: Offer to make a donation of 10% of the purchase price for each customer to a local community charity.
- Check-in deals: Offer every shopper that “checks in” or tags to your store on social media an exclusive promotion in store.
- Online coupons: Offer exclusive promotions on your website that are redeemable in store only.
- Media outreach: Proudly promote your involvement with Independent Retailer Month to your local magazines, blogs, TV and influencers to receive coverage and help attract more customers.
You can add the Independent Retailer Month logo to your in-store graphics, social media, newsletter and website to show your involvement and encourage consumers to shop independent, as well as downloading and printing posters and postcards for your store.